Are you tired of staring at the blank walls in your rental apartment, dorm room, or house? Do you want to add some personality and character to your space without risking your security deposit? Look no further than renter-friendly wallpaper! In this blog post, we’ll walk you through the steps of selecting, installing, and removing wallpaper that won’t damage your walls or your wallet.
Selecting Renter Friendly Wallpaper
When it comes to selecting wallpaper for a rental space, it’s important to keep a few things in mind. First, make sure the wallpaper you choose is removable and won’t damage the walls. Look for wallpaper that is designed specifically for renters, and read reviews to see what other renters have to say about the product.
Second, consider the style and color of the wallpaper. Choose a pattern or color that complements your existing decor, or opt for a bold statement piece to make a big impact. Keep in mind that if you choose a busy pattern, it may be best to only apply it to one wall to avoid overwhelming the space.
Best Websites to Buy Renter Friendly Wallpaper
Here are some of the best online shops for renter-friendly wallpaper:
Best Custom Wallpaper: Spoonflower
Spoonflower offers a range of peel-and-stick wallpaper options that are easy to install and remove. Their selection includes modern designs and classic patterns, so there’s something for everyone. You can also upload your own design. Click here to get your first (totally, completely free!) custom wallpaper pattern from Penn Gray Design!
Best Mural Wallpaper: Tempaper
Tempaper offers a wide variety of peel-and-stick wallpapers that are perfect for renters. They have great options for murals, chinoiserie, patterned, and solid-colored options, and their products are removable and repositionable without damaging walls.
Best “Try Before You Buy” Wallpaper: Chasing Paper
Chasing Paper has a variety of removable wallpaper options that are perfect for renters. Their collection includes playful designs and bold patterns, and they’re all easy to install and remove. Best of all, they have a great options for getting some sample patches to see what you like best and what work work with your space/current design aesthetic.
Best Eco-friendly & Kid-Friendly Wallpaper: WallsNeedLove
WallsNeedLove has a large selection of removable wallpaper options that are perfect for renters. They offer both patterned and solid-colored options, and their products are eco-friendly and non-toxic.
Best Wallpaper for Other Surfaces: RoomMates
RoomMates has a variety of peel-and-stick wallpaper options that are perfect for renters. Their selection includes classic patterns and trendy designs, and their products are easy to install and remove without damaging walls. They also have a great selection of products designed for non-wall surfaces, including lockers, windows, mirrors, and backsplashes.
Installing Renter-Friendly Wallpaper
Once you’ve selected your renter-friendly wallpaper, it’s time to get it up on the walls! Follow these steps for a successful installation:
- Prep your walls: Make sure your walls are clean and smooth before applying wallpaper. Fill any holes or cracks with spackle and sand them down to create a smooth surface.
- Measure and cut your wallpaper: Measure the height and width of your walls, and cut your wallpaper to the appropriate size. Use a wallpaper calculator to determine how much wallpaper you’ll need for your space.
- Apply wallpaper paste: Apply wallpaper paste to the back of your wallpaper according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Hang your wallpaper: Carefully hang your wallpaper on the wall, using a wallpaper brush to smooth out any bubbles or wrinkles.
- Trim the edges: Use a sharp utility knife to trim the excess wallpaper from the edges of the wall.
Removing Renter-Friendly Wallpaper
When it’s time to move out of your rental space, you’ll need to remove the wallpaper without damaging the walls. Follow these steps for a stress-free removal:
- Start at the edges: Use a putty knife or scraper to gently lift the edges of the wallpaper.
- Use a wallpaper steamer: A wallpaper steamer can help loosen the wallpaper from the walls, making it easier to remove.
- Peel off the wallpaper: Once the wallpaper is loosened, carefully peel it off the wall, working in small sections.
- Clean the walls: Use a sponge and warm, soapy water to clean any remaining adhesive residue from the walls.
In conclusion, renter-friendly wallpaper is a great way to add some style and personality to your rental space without risking your security deposit. When selecting wallpaper, look for products that are designed specifically for renters, and choose a pattern or color that complements your existing decor. Follow the steps for a successful installation, and when it’s time to move out, remove the wallpaper without damaging the walls.